Monday 22 March 2010

The Sprint Cycle


So that I don't "bite off more than I can chew" -- my aims are to make many iterations of the Sprint Cycle (at a guess, four-ish). The dotted areas on the diagram above show the gaping holes in my knowledge. The first iteration will be about getting a better understanding of each of the areas and finding the simplest tools for working with them.

Sprint 1: The aim to to produce the simplest thing possible that is remotely useful. I will attempt (this week) to make a full traversal of the cycle. At this point I don't have the details of people's profile on social media sites (the survey hasn't been published yet), I don't have any real knowledge about worth with repositories, nor of working with LinkedData. I will need to work with what I have, namely the data that is already "out there"... web pages and links.

Whilst the aim may be to make something more like the Research Portal (shown below), this week is going to be all about doing something MUCH SIMPLER.




Aims

  • Review crawling components (and mine York's existing data - wherever it is)
  • Display content in a TagCloud
  • Attempt to integrate with some LinkedData
  • Attempt to present and data or relationships in a novel way
  • Publish the Social Media Survey to hopefully find out more about what is being used at York.
The first iteration of the cycle looks like this. And nothing like thrashing around in frogspawn.






No comments:

Post a Comment