Friday 26 March 2010

Sprint 1 Done!


York University's web site has been crawled. The data was then manipulated (or added to) using Open Calais - although I still have to leave that cooking a while longer. And then using the Google Visualisation API I created a tag cloud of what are called the top "social tags" for the semantic information.

The entities returned look really interesting. I need to find out how they relate to each other and how I can find connections between peoples.



The next step is to clean up the code. Make it semi-functional so at very least you can explore the data and then put it into Google Code ... with some instructions! Which will look something like this...

1. Install Django and dependencies
2. crawl (http://www.york.ac.uk)
3. analyze()
4.  ./manage.py runserver

What a week...

5 comments:

  1. Great work, I love the way you are using tags to follow actual people and not just topics. What does go on in your mind, I do wonder sometimes.
    TTFN
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other quick note - take a look at the SocialTags output from OpenCalais. This could provide some very interesting - but softer - topical connections between people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you published any LINKs re. your Linked Data? Once you do this others can produce Meshups based on related data in the Linked Open Data cloud etc..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't got that far yet. I want to spend a little time next week making an interface so that people can browse the data... hopefully with a few VERY simple visualisations along the way.

    ReplyDelete