Tuesday 30 March 2010

My very first Hyperforest

So today I decided to look at little deeper at WHAT I want to plot on a Hypertree anyway. It's quite a difficult question. The purpose of all this, ultimately, it to be a browsing experience (not a reporting one) so I don't care if the diagram is an accurate reflection all that matters is that if it is accurate enough to flush out some interesting connections.


The diagram should look plausible but then have oddities in. So.... today I took a simplistic view that went...


  1. What web documents is someone mentioned in
  2. What topics are associated with those documents
  3. What terms are those documents associated with (and which topics)
  4. Who else is on the documents that have those terms
I also threw in some relevancy numbers for good luck ( thanks @TomTague for the tip)

The end results are a quite good...

Gustav Delius - a mathematician who is involved in lots of web projects looks like this...

 Trevor Sheldon - the Deputy Vice Chancellor looks like this...

Roger Burrows - Sociologist who might be said to have concerns about technology and privacy (forgive me if I'm wrong Roger)... looks like this...







Sue Hodges - Educator definitely not into social media self-promotion looks like this...






It's looking promising. The pictures look great... now if I can just fathom what they mean I'll be laughing.


Tomorrow I need to research talking to the ZODB and how to make custom object types in Plone so that I can take this data and integrate it into a social networking site we're running.













1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of some of Fernanda Vegas' "PostHistory" work at MIT... http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~fviegas/posthistory/

    ReplyDelete