Monday 29 March 2010

My Very First Hypertree

Sometimes, in fact most of the times for me, I find it difficult to work with certain concepts until I can see them. I began today by making the templates that could just show the data I have gathered from Open Calais so that I could get a feel for what's there.

And just now I started adding a little Hypertree magic. Here's some of the data displayed quite simply.


The funny shape makes me realise that I've made a completely arbitrary three-way split of pages, people and terms and that I need to make it build its hierarchy dynamically. Ooh that one hurts.

It looks even stranger when someone happens to have been in lots of pages about meeting minutes. Here's Jo Casey as a Hypertree.





I'm pleased that I'm able to display something. I now need to work on the user interface and add a nice search interface and popup areas for "people information" and maybe to be able to load more data as you click on a node.

I also now need to think about which connections between people are most important and perhaps how to structure the industry terms.

1 comment:

  1. Tom:

    You might want to consider using the relevance score returned by OpenCalais for some noise suppression. The score basically indicates how "central" an entity is to a give document - essentially providing aboutness.

    Love watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete